How to win contracts with the government
The US federal government is the world’s largest buyer – spending over $500 billion each year. Small businesses received almost $98 billion in government contracts in FY2010. Purchases ranged from complex products and services such as space vehicles, information technology, medical, environmental, transportation, logistics, and cyber security to more basic commodities and services such as office supplies and janitorial services.
Top 10 ways to win government contracts
- Get registered with the federal government – Obtain a DUNS, register with CCR, ORCA and SBA DSBS to gain exposure to agencies, and enable your company to be eligible to win contract awards.
- Get certified as Small, Minority, Women, Hub Zone, SBA 8(a), WOSB, Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business and/or Supplier Diversity programs so your company is eligible for set-aside contracts and subcontracting opportunities.
- Build a powerful capability statement – include core competencies, past performance, differentiators, socio-economic status, CAGE, NAICS, Certifications, GSA Schedules, IDIQ, BPA contracts, and points of contact
- Know the rules. Read and understand the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
- Identify bid opportunities, prime contracts and subcontracting opportunities. Know where to find bids, RFP, solicitations, amendments and award notices. BH Sky Bid Notice Service
- Submit winning proposal. Understand the scope of work, terms, conditions and evaluation criteria. Research past procurement histories and previous incumbent terms and pricing.
- Get a GSA Schedule Contract. A GSA Schedule is a long term government wide IDIQ contract that allows you to sell to the federal government nationwide. What is a GSA schedule?
- Know your customer. Build relationships with the buyers, decision makers and end users. Narrow your focus by identifying agencies that purchase what you offer. Understand agency policies and federal agency procurement spending forecasts.
- Understand the market. Know who buys your products/services, how they buy, what they buy and when they buy
- Know the players. Know competitors, prime contractors, identify your market share and analyze options
BH Sky can help you position your firm to win contracts with the government.
Have questions? Contact a Government Contracting Specialist to help you succeed in the government marketplace.